Skip to Content


Two men smile and sit on dining chairs in their home facing each other. One man holds a baby girl in his lap while the other man feeds her baby food from a bowl.

If you or a member of your household who is living with HIV need assistance to remain in your current housing or to secure new housing, the following services are available through the HOPWA program. Talk with your local HOPWA provider agency to find out if they can meet your needs.

If you live in one of the six city HOPWA areas, please contact the city covering your county to see what services are available.

Please note that the following services are subject to availability and funding by the HOPWA provider agency in your area.

Permanent Housing Placement (PHP):

PHP helps secure housing by covering reasonable costs including, but not limited to, first month’s rent and security deposit equal up to two months of rent.

Short-Term Rent, Mortgage, and Utility (STRMU) Assistance:

STRMU is a time-limited housing subsidy designed to prevent homelessness and increase housing stability. This assistance may be provided for up to 21 weeks in any 52-week period. The amount of assistance varies per client depending on funds available, client need, and program guidelines.

Tenant-Based Rental Assistance (TBRA):

TBRA is a rental subsidy program similar to the Housing Choice Vouchers program. The rental subsidy can be provided to help households access affordable housing. The TBRA voucher is not tied to a specific rental unit, so clients may move without losing assistance, subject to individual program rules. The subsidy amount is determined in part based on household income and rental costs associated with the tenant’s lease.

Short-Term Supported Housing Assistance (or Transitional Housing Assistance): 

This type of housing assistance seeks to prevent homelessness by providing temporary shelter to program-qualified individuals. Examples include, but are not limited to, furnished apartments, hotel/motel rooms, housing rooms, etc. Temporary housing fosters independent living while permanent arrangements are sought.

Housing Case Management:

This service provides information and/or support to locate and apply for housing assistance, such as counseling and help with developing a housing service plan for establishing stable housing. Housing case management also offers help with accessing additional benefits, such as health care and other supportive services.

Supportive Services:

The following is a comprehensive list of allowable, eligible HOPWA support services in Florida:

  • Adult day care and personal assistance
  • Alcohol and drug abuse services (includes treatment and counseling)
  • Assistance in gaining access to local, state, and federal government benefits and services, with health services only available to people with HIV
  • Case management/advocacy/coordination of benefits
  • Child care and other child services
  • Credit counseling
  • Direct outpatient treatment of mental health conditions by licensed professionals
  • Education services, including:
    • Instruction or training in consumer education
    • Health education
    • Substance abuse prevention
    • Literacy
    • English as a Second Language
    • General Educational Development [GED]
  • Employment assistance and job training for people with HIV
  • Health and medical services (with restrictions)
  • Health and mental health assessment services
  • HOPWA-provided transportation for clients to use to meet with support services
  • Individual, family, or group therapy to address co-occurring disorders
  • Intensive care when required
  • Legal services
  • Job training or job coaching, including:
    • Resumé development
    • Transportation to and from medical care or employer
    • Child care
    • Eligible essential services and facilities
  • Life skills training, including:
    • Budgeting resources
    • Managing money
    • Managing a household
    • Resolving conflict
    • Shopping for food and needed items
    • Improving nutrition
    • Using public transportation
    • Parenting
    • Home upkeep and maintenance
  • Nutritional services, including:
    • Meals
    • Food banks
    • Nutritional supplements
    • Counseling on proper nutrition by certified nutrition specialists
  • Mental health services
  • Outreach
  • Permanent housing placement services, including:
    • Housing referral
    • Tenant counseling:
      • Understanding a residential lease and your obligations
      • Dispute resolution
    • Costs associated with housing placement:
      • Application fees and credit check expenses
      • First month’s rent and security deposit (not to exceed two months of rent)
      • One-time utility connection fees and processing costs
  • Substance abuse treatment services provided by licensed or certified professionals